Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The results are in

Day 28 was on Sunday. Here are the results:

Chest: was – 35.75”, is – 35.75”
Waist: was – 30.25”, is – 28.75”
Hips: was – 41”, is – 40.25”

Wt: was – 155.8lbs, is – 150.0lbs.
Body comp.: was – 28.6%, is – 27.7%

Can I get YAY?

I was pleased with my progress. After all, almost 6 lbs is nothing to sniff at. However, when we used the body composition percentages to determine my lean body mass (LBM), it showed that I dropped by 2.2lbs. That means that of the 5.8lbs that I lost, only 3.6lbs was fat and the rest was precious muscle mass.*

For the sports and activities in which I’m involved my LBM was already low, and I really can’t afford to lose any more. In fact, the nice trainer lady said that I should really be focusing on upping it.

This is a little frustrating. I’ve got good upper body strength compared to most women, but not the muscle mass. Basically, from what I understand, what muscle I have fires really effectively which produces the strength. However, I need more of it, not just to enjoy a higher metabolism, but also to ensure that I have lots of healthy muscle as I age.

So, I guess this means more strength training, something I hadn’t been doing much of except that which was part of boot camp.

I am going to return to the classes in January as I really enjoyed them and I like the focus that they provide. The next session starts January 26th, which is just under 6 weeks. I intend to work on my own during that period to improve my stats so that my initial starting point is even better.

* In the spirit of full disclosure, feeling kinda bad about the mixed results, I proceeded to overeat upon getting home. Sigh. Two steps forward, one step back.

No comments: